• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland




    Change of name in the territory of the Republic of Poland



    General issues


    A Polish citizen may request to change his or her given name or surname. The application to change a surname will be examined to ascertain whether there are "important reasons" for the change. In particular, a change may be allowed when the original surname:

    1. is embarrassing or undignified;
    2. has a non-Polish form;
    3. resembles a given name;

    or, if the applicant wishes to change to a surname to one that he/she has been using for many years.


    The surname can have a maximum of two parts.


    When both parents change their surname, the change will also apply to any minor children. If only one of the parents is changing their surname, the consent of the other parent is required for a change to the name of a minor child.

    The consent of the second parent is not required if:

    • he/she does not have full active capacity,
    • he/she is dead, or
    • he/she has been deprived of the parental authority (by a court in Poland).


    When the change of surname concerns a minor child, a statutory representative submits an application for a change of surname. In the event of a lack of agreement between the parents regarding the change of given name or surname for the child, each parent can turn to the district guardianship court in Poland to settle the issue. The legally valid decision of the guardianship court, made during non-litigious proceedings, replaces the consent of the disputing parent.


    After the child has turned 13, his/her consent is also required.

    The change of given name or surname will be noted in the civil registration certificates. A copy of the civil registration certificate, showing the change of surname or given name, can then be obtained from a local registry office in Poland.



    Required documents


    1. The application should contain the following:

    • current and previous given names and surname of the applicant
    • marital status
    • Pesel number (personal ID number)
    • current home address
    • last home address in Poland /place of registration/
    • surname and given name that the applicant wishes to assume
    • given names of family members whose names will also be changed
    • justification for the change of name
    • statement concerning the circumstances related to the change of given name or surname abroad
    • applicant’s signature, date and place where the application has been prepared.


    2. Other documents:

    • valid Polish passport or proof of the provincial governor’s (wojewoda) decision confirming Polish citizenship
    • full copy of birth certificate
    • full copy of marriage certificate, if the applicant is married
    • in the event that only one of the parents is changing surname, a statement from the other parent with his/her consent to the extension of the change of surname to the minor child
    • the consent of the child to the change of surname if the child has turned 14
    • if the marriage of the applicant has been dissolved by divorce, a copy of the Judgment granting the divorce (from Poland) or a copy of the marriage certificate with a note about the divorce
    • if an administrative change of surname took place in Great Britain: a "deed poll" document or a change of name document issued by the solicitor/ notary public
    • All documents that have been issued abroad have to be officially translated (sworn translation) into the Polish language. Translation should be made by a sworn translator in Poland or by a Consul. If translation was made by a local translator in United Kingdom it has to be verified by a Consul.


    The consular fee for the verification of the translation prepared by third parties is £24.

    The consular fee for the translation of civil registration certificates is £24.

    The fee for the change of name is £24.

    Print Print Share: