• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland



  • When a Polish citizen gets married in a foreign registry office, he or she must submit a statement regarding his or her surname, together with an application requesting that the marriage certificate be recorded in the Polish register of marriages. If the marriage was between two Polish citizens, they should also submit a statement regarding the surname of any children born in the marriage.

    This statement can only be submitted in the presence of the Head of a registrar's office in Poland or in the presence of the Consul abroad.
    This statement cannot be made in front of the Notary Public.

    In order to obtain a transcript of the marriage certificate, you should submit the following documents:

    1. an application requesting the transcript, directed to the proper registrar's office
    2. an original full copy of the marriage certificate (issued by the proper local registrar's office)
    3. a translation of the document made by a sworn translator in Poland or by a Consul. The fee for this service is £24. If the translation was made by a local translator in the United Kingdom it has to be verified by a Consul. The consular fee is £24.
    4. statement about the surname used after the marriage ceremony
    5. original birth certificates of both spouses
    6. a sworn translation of a foreign birth certificate - if spouses were born outside Poland
    7. valid passports or ID cards
    8. An additional form needs to be completed if one spouse is not a Polish citizen

    Amendment and correction of a foreign certificate

    Foreign marriage certificates, including those issued by the authorities in Scotland and Northern Ireland, frequently do not contain all the information required to make a decision and issue copies of the Polish civil registration document. Thus the Head of a Polish registrar's office will make a decision in regard to an amendment and/or correction of the said certificate.
    When submitting this application, a request should be made for the amendment and correction of the information. Enclose all relevant documents, for example, birth certificates of the spouses.

    Note - divorced or widowed persons

    People who have been married previously must submit Polish documents showing that the previous marriage has ended. For example, a previous marriage certificate and a valid Judgment made by the Polish court in regard to the divorce or annulment of the marriage, or a marriage certificate with a note about the divorce or a death certificate of the previous spouse.

    A divorce granted by a British court, regardless of whether the marriage was contracted in Poland or in Great Britain, has to be registered in a Polish Registry Office or recognized by a Polish court pursuant to art. 1145 of the Civil Proceedings Code.

    The submitted documents will not be returned. After registering the certificate, the Consul will deliver the Polish civil registration document to the applicant together with his or her decision on recording it in the Polish register.

    Consular fees for the transcript of a marriage certificate

    A fee of £40 is charged for the preparation of the documentation in regard to the registration (transcript), delivering a copy of the Polish civil registration certificate and for the preparation and certification of the translation by a Consul.

    Civil registration documents from third countries

     Registration documents issued by third countries can be done only by Polish Consul in the country where certificate was issued or directly in registry office in Poland.

    If the civil registration document was issued by a country that is a signatory to the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961 (Dz.U. from 2005, No. 112, item 938), there is no requirement to legalise foreign official documents.
    In place of legalisation, the Convention introduces a single certificate called an "Apostille", which is attached to the document or placed inside the document itself.

    The certificates are issued by appropriate national offices in each member state of the Convention: A list of the offices can be found on this page:
    Additional information can be found on the pages of Polish foreign offices.
    A list is available on this page:

    If the certificate was issued by a country that is not a signatory to the Hague Convention, you should contact a consular office of that country to obtain a consular legalisation.

    Print Print Share: